Wednesday 22 July 2015

Drawing Journey Part16 - Upside Down Puzzle


I found this funky puzzle while browsing and searching for ultimate drawing book/resources. It came from Lee Hammond's Big Book of Drawing.

I started with making a copy using a copy machine and I cut out all individual squares - all together 70 squares. I also made a copy of the empty grid. Notice that each square in the grid is numbered - very important.

Using the elimination method, from simplest shape to complicated ones, I took one cut out square, found the corespondent number in empty grid and drew exact copy of it. I repeated it 69 times more and when I was done I turned it up side down.

End result was amazing. Under no circumstance I would be able to draw a horse like that but when it was broken down to the small chunks and turned up side down suddenly it all became possible.

Good news is, every single time when you filled stuck with your drawing just turn reference pic up side down, cover parts you don't need to see so you are not distracted and try again. I bet second attempt will be far far more satisfying then the first one.

See you next time :)


Note: I must say that in original filled grid some lines when aligned one by one didn't match however I tweak my end picture so they did.


No comments:

Post a Comment