Monday 6 July 2015

Drawing Journey Part9 - Self Portrait

It is a good idea to do a Pre-Instruction drawings which essentially means that you draw with skills you have right now. Over some period of time, and after learning some techniques, these very same drawings will be re-drawn and you would be able to compare your skills and hopefully see some progression- something like Before and After picture.

Mine Pre-instruction Drawing will be: Self portrait, hand and corner of the room

This is about the first one - Self Portrait 

I had a very strange feeling to look at myself in the mirror and observing all different shapes and shades and wrinkles ... and you get the picture. Usually if I applied make up early morning it takes me no more than few minutes and even than I watch TV with one eye half open so suddenly staring at my face and trying to draw it was very uncomfortable for me for some reason.

So, this exercise should have taken about 30 minutes - in my case 2.5 hours. I freaked myself so badly that I was trying to do everything perfect. I spent much more time with small portions like ear or nose than I should've. The complexity of facial expression was overwhelming, did not know where to start and generally I just wanted to give up an move on to something else.

Anyhow, after all that effort I could confidently said that my self portrait did not look at all like me and I mean not like me at all. Good proof was when I sent a picture to my boyfriend and his reply was "Who it should be again?"

That led to thinking about one of my ground rules in my previous post - keep good sense of humor :)

Self Evaluation:

Positives: it still reminds a human being, I like an left ear, right eye, lips are not bad either and I like nostrils

Negatives: does not look like me at all (however there is resemblance with someone but still couldn't figure out whom) and took me far to long

Action Plan : care less,  don't spent far to much time with just one small section, don't overthink it and just relax and let go

Next time will be attempting to draw my left hand. Fingers crossed that will go better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment