Thursday 16 July 2015

Drawing Journey Part14 - Resources Update

A just a little update on the resources I'm using.

As an addition to materials I mentioned in Drawing Journey Part2 I got myself:

- Daler RowneyAquafine Watercolour smooth hot pressed paper pad - I could not believed how many different types of papers are out there and of course I bought the wrong one for the purpose I needed. Good advice - search for the difference between cold and hot pressed watercolour paper :)

- Winsor and Newton Medium kneaded putty rubber - it is brilliant for lifting (press and lift) graphite form paper instead of rubbing it off (left to right motion) with vinyl eraser

- Paper stump (no brand)- used for blending graphite

- Masking tape (no brand) - very important when you do picture/sketch transfer

- Fine Sandpaper - for preparing my pencils

Resources and resources additions:

I had many emails asking me for a name of books mentioned in Part1 so here they are

Book 1= How to Draw a Cool Stuff (purple one) by Catherine V. Holmes - this is the one even child can follow. There are an instructions on  how to draw a very basic shapes step-by-step. This is a very nice book but I was missing a methodical approach where I could build on some previous knowledge so I did not use it very much ( to be exact I used it about five times).

Book 2= Drawing for the Absolute Beginner by Mark and Mary Willenbrink - I ditched this book as I found out it was no use to me. It was fine to read it but as soon as I tried to follow some tutorials I got immediately lost. Contains a little bit of everything and it could be good as a  drawing techniques overview. Just did not work for me.

Additions and other resources:
Drawing on the Right Side of the  Brain by Betty Edwards - it is more about psychology behind the drawing. It is a hard read for me as I found the writing style a little bit boring and I needed to force myself to continue but info there is very good even thought is somehow hidden in a lots of unnecessary words. However, it makes you think about things. The exercises included are very interesting I must say.

6 Pencil Techniques by Cindy Wider. This is an online email based two weeks taster course with two exercises and two bonus ones . I paid 0.67 GBP (equivalent to 1USD) It has simple instruction from how to hold the pencil to how to make a different strokes to achieve different textures. I did learn a lot from it.

and Drawing, Shading and Portraiture Course also by Cindy Wider. This is a self teach course which I found discounted on Amazon local and I am planning to follow this course for the next few weeks.

Have a nice day and stay tuned for another drawing adventure :)


Note: Just to say I have not received any commissions for mentioning these brands/names

No comments:

Post a Comment